View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 05:56 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblir View Post
If I found a cargo tray that fit in the rear hitch on my truck similar to this one, would that work and still allow for tight turns with my 5th wheel camper? If the tray were just big enough to hold the generator? I have the same generator as the one in the picture.
Assuming you have a hitch on the rear that is adequate for the load. using a rear rack is not a problem when turning. Obviously it does increase the length of your RV when parking or on a ferry.

The one disadvantage of running the generator on a rear rack is that its vibration and noise (to some extent) are passed on to the RV. Putting the genny on the ground or the back of the truck eliminates the vibration problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblir View Post
I am definitely not an electrician. Is adding the transfer switch fairly easy?
It is not difficult to do if you are somewhat handy. You will have to drill a hole in the RV and run some wire. A number of members have done this and there are Posts on their efforts. Here is one example. Just do a Search on something like "front 50 amp plug" (or variants)

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=77110

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote