View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

On the low point drains Steve mentioned, I installed a couple of those Styrofoam faucet covers from a local hardware store. I used the ones with the rubber band, as the one with the hook wouldn't stay on. Of course, we weren't in CO, merely East TX, but we got down to around 20* with no problems.

You might want to take a look and see if the furnace hose to the underbelly is intact. On our Mountaineer (fifth wheel) there is a 2" or so foil hose that leaves the side of the furnace and goes to the underbelly. That hose is sort of flimsy, and I could see it getting squashed very easy.

Edit: I am a little puzzled by the pump not running. To the best of my knowledge, these are "demand pumps", that only shut down on pressure on the discharge of the pump. I'm thinking the pump should run regardless of water supply. Perhaps something else is going on.
All good points Will. I would like to add that when I tried just insulating the low point drains, that worked down to about 17 degrees. Then they froze again. Thus the addition of heat tape. So if the temperature won't go below 20 or thereabouts, then insulating those low point drains might be plenty good.

I wonder if the pump fuse or breaker blew with the pump trying to pump into an ice obstruction?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote