View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 06:47 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If you are concerned about flooding your batteries by leaving the camper plugged in long term in storage, then remember... there are some items that have parasitic draw on your batteries all the time. Your entertainment center is one of them and your CO detector is another. And there may be other items that draw all the time too. Anything that uses a remote will never be turned off completely, unless it's disconnected from batteries or AC electricity.

The parasetic draw will help balance out any overcharging, but may not be enough. So you could leave a couple lights turned on all the time too, which will help balance the constant charging vs discharging in use. (much like when you are actually camping).

I know all of our campers are a bit different and we all have different batteries. But in my case, we've had our Montana for a bit over 4 years now and it's been plugged in to shore power 24x7x365 unless actually traveling on the road. During that time, I have never had to add a single drop of water to my 2 batteries and they are still holding a charge just fine. I actually don't worry too much about them, check them now a couple times a year.... always good.

Now, we do use our camper almost 24x7x365 also. We are not full timers, but we are using our camper absolutely full time, on the road or at home! Even when home, there are days and day we never set foot in the house.

If you have the convenience to keep your camper plugged in while in storage, I'd do it, as long as you have easy access and can check things out often. If you are putting it in storage and it is not convenient for you to monitor it, then maybe disconnecting the batteries and unplugging from shore power is the best way to go.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote