Thread: Shock absorbers
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
bshgto ... I read your reply beginning to end and simply offered another experience to people on the MOC. Neither your nor my replies should be taken as the final say by followers of this thread. I'm pulling numbers no more out of my rear pocket than you are. Your 6" of max travel stated by an engineer and my 2-3" of standard travel on an interstate are real numbers. I'm not arguing your particular experience with shocks, I'm just putting mine out for an opposing example. I was mainly referring to the two examples with photos from the OP. I said the Roadmaster would somewhat help, the Lippert won't do much. If people are to go by those photos, The Lippert shocks are shown in an unloaded position and are at a fair angle. Once the tire and wheel is on the ground, the shocks will a bit more compressed and at a greater angle. I've been spinning wrenches most of my life and seldom make mistakes installing something as simple as shock kits. The guys units I put shocks on simply reported disappointingly little difference. The laid over OEM shocks of a few years back didn't do squat and most will attest to that along with manufacturers no longer installing them. Roadmaster and Joyrider shocks have improved the results of the install, but a leaf spring suspension RV will never float over the highways. Fivers are inherently top heavy. The way some people pull amplifies that fact. The guy across the street from me pulls his fiver just as he drives his compact car. It's a wonder anything is in place once he gets to a campsite.
Thanks dieselguy,

I had the same opinion as you when I read both posts. The photos on etrailer show the Lippert shocks at an angle that I agree would offer little performance improvement. Just like you stated.
And, good point about how people drive; slowing down on rough roads and when cornering seems to be forgotten by some but is a key part of "ride quality".

Brad