View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
The real answer is you get what you pay for, Montana is a high production RV using budget oriented materials. That comes with quality compromises, if you are not a DIY person it is probably not the RV for you otherwise expect considerable down time for warranty.

With that said, with a little handy-person skills many of the issues are easily fixed, however plan for some warranty down time likely more than higher end brands. My best advice buy used whereas someone else has dealt with all the bugs the new RV's have.

To use an analogy from the car industry I will use Ram trucks as an example the base model is Tradesman, Bighorn, Laramie, LongHorn, and limited.

The Montana line up is Tradesman=Cougar, Bighorn=High Country, Laramie+ Montana, Alpine=Long Horn although Montana has nothing in the Limited category. If that is what you want look at Velano or Mobile Suites. Again you pay for what you get.
I'll ditto what Lightsout says above about quality of build. Keystone/Thor in general are middle of the line high production units. They cost less but you have to trade some quality of build for that. For most folks I think they hit the balance about right.

I will also agree others who have suggested that you should really think about buying an RV if your not at least somewhat handy. Not to suggest you have to be a professional tradesman or anything but it does help a LOT if you can at least use a screwdriver.

Since your getting ready to buy let me suggest a different path from others who say "the dealer matters above all else". I almost totally disagree with that premise. My recommendation is to do your research and decide on a brand and floor plan. Then COMMODITY price that floor plan with a minimum of at least 3 dealers and preferably several more than that. Once you get the best "out the door price" then and only then start working financing. Once you get the very best overall deal buy from THAT dealer no matter how far away they are from you. BEFORE you sign, do a VERY through inspect or even hire a professional to inspect the unit. There are entire threads and lists here on how to do that. Make sure that the inspection is completed with electric and water hooked up and that every single appliance and device is tested several times! DO NOT SIGN for the unit and take possession until the purchase dealer has fixed EVERYTHING that was found on the pre inspection!! Once you drive off the lot you have just about zero power to get the unit fixed in a timely fashion. DO NOT FALL for the "if you buy it from us we will take good care of you" BS. If its not on paper that is total BS! Once you buy the unit find a good local SERVICE ONLY business with experienced RV technicians. Those businesses will by design do better, faster and often less expensive work than any sales dealership so called service department!

Some folks on here are going to come down on me for being so negative about sales dealerships. Let me just say you don't have to be mean to salesmen but you do have to approach the purchase as the business transaction it is and leave the emotions at home. Don't believe any of the sales hype from the smiling salesman and understand that your only real power is the ability to walk away. Be prepared to do that at any point during the deal!! Be sure EVERYTHING is taken care of to YOUR satisfaction before signing that bottom line. If they suggest you have to make a "down payment" before they do anything then tell them you can do the deal elsewhere and walk out. Trust me once they know your serious they will stop with the games!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote