Thread: Favorite Hitch
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I agree with Mikendebbie, above, that the Demco Recon is a pretty good hitch. I have nothing to compare it with though, since this is the only fifth wheel hitch (and the only fifth wheel trailer) I've ever had or towed with. (I'm a life-long bumper pull trailer tower, until 2 years ago, and I'm now almost 66 years old.)

Anyway, back to the Recon.... Like Mikendebbie above, I let my dealer pick the hitch and they installed it when I purchased the Montana. I had no clue what I wanted, what would work good. All I knew was, I had a very dependable and reliable dealership that I'd done a lot of business with in the past, and I trusted their judgment call. They sized the right hitch with the right trailer with the right truck. I think they also sized the hitch to the right owner too (Me). Knowing my age at the time, and after lengthy discussions how I use my truck for more than just towing a trailer, they made this decision for me. And it was a good decision. I took me some time to finally realize this hitch is really a little gem.

First, it did not cost a fortune.

Second, double pivot. I didn't realize how important that was (but I think most hitches have this feature anyway).

Third, I learned it had a 21,000 pound towing capacity. More than adequate with lots of room to spare for my Montana.

Fourth, the actual size. I installed a flip top bed cover to hide the hitch and to keep it out of the elements when not towing. The bed cover does not interfear with the hitch at all, open or closed.

Fifth, The hitch can separate into 3 sections, simply by pulling a cotter pin and a pin, making each section very easy to handle and remove from the bed of the truck. Even without separating, the total weight is still around 60 or 70 pounds.

Here's a link to their web site that has 2 YouTube videos that shows much more than I can explain. Click here.

I know there are other hitches out there that have air ride suspension on them, shocks, that slide, and a number of other things to make life easier and more comfortable. But for a basic hitch that has a lot to offer, that after more than 2 years of towing thousands and thousands of miles now, it's a pretty decent hitch.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote