View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had my share of headaches the first year of Montana High Country ownership. I kept a record for the first year, and I had 86 separate issues. Most I fixed myself, but some were beyond me. Not because of skill, but because of the time involved and the lack of tools and time to do the job.

However, after what seems like a total rebuild of my Montana, the second year of ownership nothing happened, that I didn't self-induce. (Like forgetting flip the water heater by-pass back on and burning out the heating element? Or the many bumps and bruises my baby has now from low-hanging trees.

But, after the first year, my "warranty" type issues, stopped. I suppose because I fixed everything myself. My dealership did get the trailer back to replace 2 doors and a wheel hub and brakes though.

I know it's too late for you now, but I have always advised anxious full-timers to NOT immediately purchase a camper, sell the house, and hit the road all at once. I have always advised owning the camper for at least one year before taking it on the road for a full time experience. Why? For the very reason you are experiencing. Things get un-earthed in the first year of ownership that will require lots of repair, fixing, tweeking, and adjusting. It's much easier to do all of that in your own driveway than on the side of a road. After 1 year, (most) of the bugs should be flushed out and fixed. Plus you've had time to adjust to the camper, make minor modifications, like hanging hooks or dividers in cabinets or drawers, to make the camper uniquely your own. It's much harder to do some of this stuff while actually on the road.

I have no comment about Keystone. I'm on my 3rd Keystone camper, and a Dutchmen Sport before they sold out to Thor Industries. I've never dealt directly with Keystone, I've always worked through my local dealer. The good thing about living in central Indiana, is the fact we are surrounded by RV dealerships, and all of them have a subtle competition going on. So their customer service works a little harder to please their customers because they KNOW if the customer is not happy, there are enough other dealerships they'll be taking their "next" business to.

Now about Camping World ... at least the one in Greenwood, Indiana appears to be decent. I've not heard too many complaints about them. I suppose, even there, they work harder because they know competition is all around them.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote