View Single Post
Old 06-11-2023, 09:44 PM   #11
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMills View Post
I used a multimeter and the reading at the outlet are 12 for both legs. I also tested the reeding at the plug when I disconnected it from the RV, it still plugged into the outlet. Each leg read 120. Any other suggestions?
OK, if you are going to resolve this with our help, you have to work methodically from point to point. This won’t be fixed by replacing stuff randomly (like the gfci) and expecting an aha it’s fixed moment. Also, from your post quoted above I have no idea WHERE the “outlet” is you read 12 for both legs. 12 what? 12 volts AC? 12 volts DC?
Step one- Start at the electrical pedestal (shore power connection) and give us the voltages from L1 to neutral and L1 to ground. Then do the same for L2. Then take a reading from L1 to L2. That’s 5 voltage readings so far. Use the drawing from post #6 if you are not sure where on the pedestal’s 50 amp female outlet, to insert your multi-meter probes into L1/L2 and neutral and ground openings. Unless you are using an old analog multi-meter, I had some doubt about finding exactly 120 volts at both legs. Between L1 & L2, a reading of approximately 240 volts should be present. If at this stage any of the readings do not yield the expected results, then STOP and resolve the problem at the pedestal.
Step two- Plug the male end of your shore power cord into the pedestal. Take readings at the female end of the shore power cord. Expect the same results as found at the pedestal’s female receptacle. IF they are not the same, STOP and resolve the issue either in the male or female ends of the shore power cord.
Step 3- With the shore power cord connected, go to where your camper’s circuit breakers are located. Remove the circuit breaker faceplate exposing the wires attached to the circuit breakers. Energize the 50 amp pedestal breaker. Here you are are going to repeat taking voltage readings just as you did at the pedestal. The 50 amp breaker should yield the same reading that L1 to L2 did at the pedestal. If not, STOP and look for a problem. Lastly put one probe on the neutral bar and the other probe individually to each of the 50 amp circuit breaker’s 2 wires. Expect something around 120 volts. Let’s stop at this point and hear what the results are, before moving on. There is a good chance the problem lies somewhere the areas afore mentioned.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote