Thread: SoftStartRV
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #4
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjj View Post
Just read an article about the SoftStartRV. Writer claimed if you have a 50 amp RV with 2 AC's that if you install the SoftStartRV on each of the AC units that you can run them both on 30 amp supply. Of course he also made points about the SoftStartRV "saving" your AC units if you are at a CG with low voltage. Has anyone installed these units? Pros and cons? TIA.
They reduce the compressors starting surge. I have an easy start on both my dometic AC units (13.5k & 15k). A 30 amp generator can not run both AC units simultaneously in extreme temperatures. The 13.5k unit pulls 16-18 amps when running with the easy start. The 15k unit pulls 15 amps. You can do the math.

I am referring to Easy Start, not SoftStart, which is the new kid on the block and competitor to Easy Start. They are publishing a lot of articles/reviews to build their web presence.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am referring to generator power, not on grid power pedestal. A 30 amp generator must be rated at 3600 running watts or more and operated at less than 1000' elevation to be a true 30 amp generator. Just because it has a 30 amp plug doesn't mean it's putting out 30 amps at full load.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote