Thread: Asphalt parking
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If the weather will be hot I would put boards or the plastic pads under them. If the weather will be relatively cool, meaning less than 90 degrees I would be less concerned.

Funny story. Years ago traveling across TX panhandle on I-40 into NM with temps on my truck showing 104-106 we stopped at a rest area west of Santa Rosa. When we got ready to leave I put the truck in gear and pressed the throttle. Did not move. Tried reverse. Truck did not move. Tried drive again. No go. First thought was transmission had gone out. This was late on a Friday afternoon and we were in the middle of nowhere.
Tried some more and, watching, I could see the truck trying to move but the trailer was not. Now thinking the trailer brakes are locked up. Checked the breakaway switch. Still connected. Disconnected cord to truck. No help. Even threw battery disconnect. Nope.

Called an ERS that we had received free with our purchase of the Monte. They were less than useless. Hung up and googled number of local sheriff department and no answer! Googled Santa Rosa police department and asked if they knew of any local RV repair places. None that would be open after 5 on Friday they said.
OK, may be spending the night in a rest area. Happen to see a maintenance worker cleaning up litter around the area. Asked him if he knew of an mobile RV repair place. He spoke poor english, but said wait while he called someone, in which he spoke only Spanish. Now I am a little concerned who he is speaking with and what he is saying. But he handed me his phone and the guy on the other end asked my problem. When I explained, he said "break away switch". No already tried that. And had disconnected my cord, and had even thrown my battery disconnect switch. "OK", he said, "Are you parked along the side where the big trucks park?" Yes. "Your tires are stuck to the pavement". What??? "Yes, your tires are stuck to the pavement. I have been out there many times on $150 dollar service calls for that reason. It is slightly downhill going backward. Put your truck in reverse and hit the throttle hard and it should release". I did, and it did. I offered to send him payment for the help, but he said to tip his friend and that was good. I did and we were happily back on our way. Noticed small depressions as I pulled away in the hot pavement where the tires had been.

Moral. Yes tires on hot asphalt can cause the pavement to sink.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote