View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 07:14 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We have a 375FL Montana High Country with a Residential Refrigerator. It came with 2 batteries. I'm still using the same original batteries.

We don't boom-dock very often, but the longest we HAD to go without electricity to the camper as 3 nights, when the truck broke down and we ended up in a motel for 4 days over a long week-end and the camper was parked in the motel parking lot and absolutely no way to keep it plugged into electricity.

Our Samsung residential refrigerator kept everything frozen for the entire stay. I turned on the inverter every 8 hours and let it run for 2 hours. I did this for 4 days and I maintained the cycle. Yep, that meant getting up in the night too, but everything stayed frozen during the duration. We also brought things like, milk and our soft drinks into the motel and put that in the motel room mini-refrigerator so we wouldn't open the camper refrigerator door any more than we absolutely had to.

On another occasion, we had to stop at a motel and we left the truck and camper hitched in the parking lot. I left the inverter run all night, and we were not plugged into shore power. I did unplug the trailer from the truck too. Next morning, the inverter was still humming along. Refrigerator was fine, and still had power to move the slides.

So, if you are just doing an overnight, I think your refrigerator running off the battery via the inverter will do just fine.

When traveling, we always keep the inverter turned on so the refrigerator continues to run. The truck is constantly charging the trailer house batteries, so there's no great concern about draining the trailer house batteries.

Residential refrigerators are different than RV gas/electric refrigerators. But even an RV gas/electric refrigerator still has dependency on the RV battery, even when flipped over to electric.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote