View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It almost sounds to me like you probably won't need to worry about your water lines freezing so long as the furnace runs occasionally.

My understanding is a hard freeze is defined as 27 degrees or below for 4 hours or more. If less than that, you should be fine.

As for running down the road, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are driving in subfreezing weather. When we do that we turn the furnace on with thermostat on its lowest setting. We've never had anything freeze while on the road. And we've not used a noticeable amount of propane doing this, either.

Good luck. The weather you are talking about can provide some very enjoyable camping and often means you'll have lots of privacy and quite campsites.

We've never used a dehumidifier, either. Just open a vent a little as others said.

Does the '08 Mountaineer have the pipes in an insulated channel of their own, between floor and subfloor, like the newer Montanas do? If so, you won't need to add any insulation for them. They'll be fine. If they are lying free in the belly, I still wouldn't worry about it unless you'll be getting hard freezes. Just make sure the furnace runs occasionally. We'll set our furnace on 55 overnight and it's been fine. Coldest overnight we've been in is five below zero. And a week or so where the high for that period was 14.

by the way, the arctic package is simply a thin (but effective) insulation blanket that lays in the bottom of the belly / on top of the bellypan.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote