View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #36
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
I too have been concerned about this issue with my Super Solarflex system. I am now convinced that the two 30 amp controllers are undersized for the 1200 watts of solar panels on a 12 volt battery system. The controller rating pertains to the amperage on the battery side, and the controller will regulate the amperage to the batteries to keep it below the 30amp maximum setting. I had never seen more than about 850 watts from my four panels (850/1200 = 71%).

I thought at first that perhaps the 300 watt rating on the panels was optimistic, so I tried disconnecting one panel to see how much I would actually get with just one panel connected. (Of course you never want to disconnect/connect the panels in the sun when they are working so I unplugged one in the early morning). Lo and behold, I got 301 watts out of a single panel (~21 amps to the batteries). The panel ratings are actually on the money, very surprised! So I figured I needed two 50 amp controllers to get full performance.

I have now upgraded to two Victron SmartSolar 100-50 controllers. I simply disconnected the panel feed lines going into the SSF box and connected them to the new controllers. The controller outputs are connected to the posts on the outside of the SSF box. I have now seen more than 1100 watts charging the batteries. Now granted, conditions were nearly ideal, the Summer Solstice was yesterday (sun is at 78 degrees at solar noon in NC!) and we had a very dry (low humidity) spell last week.

When it gets a bit hazy, the power drops to 900-950 watts. I suspect that they chose the two 30 amp controllers since MOST of the time, conditions are not ideal.

I do like the bluetooth interface in these Victron controllers better than the Jaboni panel. I am now working on a Raspberry Pi interface so I can have a display panel and can log the data.

Best Regards, Mike

Mike,

I really appreciate you sharing your real world results!

I'm also wondering if the Jaboni 30amps will be limiting and I'm considering upgrading. I'm wondering if you looked at a single larger Victron instead of dual 100/50s? (like a 150/100?) I really don't know the Victron line very well, so can you run 2 legs with 2 panels with one of the larger controllers? Or, do you see advantages running with 2 smaller ones?

And, I'm curious what you are doing with the Pi? Are you running a bluetooth app to the Victron?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts,

Brad