View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Wayne and Carolyn,
Rhonda and I have a SOB parked on 4 acres in the Fairplay, Colorado area at 9850 ft elevation. We keep it at 50 degrees all winter long and spend about 2 weekend a month in it. We do not keep the water system charged and dry camp in the winter. We also added a 280 gallon propane tank. It is much less in cost to fill it per gallon than 30lb or 100lb tanks. I am planning on taking a 100lb tank with me when I go full time. Not sure how that will work out. I have a well and store drinking water in 2 1/2 gallon plastic containers. I run 2 oil electric heaters at about 850 watts and the central heater doesn't come on much. I set the central at 68 during the day and 60 at night. We also have flannel sheets on the bed. My bedroom has a window in the head area that we cover with a blanket to keep the cold are off our heads.
I solved the toilet problem by taking out the factory installed head, capping the water line and setting a large Thieford porti potti over the toilet drain and screwing a couple small wood (1" x 2") blocks to the floor to keep the unit steady. It is easy to service the potti and you can dump them in a outhouse, dump station or a regular toilet. No mess no fuss!!!! The other thing you might try is to do the 3M film over the windows. I am so looking forward to double pane windows when we start full timing in 15 months. We are selling the home and I have added a large storage shed to store belongings that will be left behind. I hope these ideas help. I hope never to see a winter colder than 40 degrees again after 09.
Jay D. and Rhonda
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote