View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #13
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
They make a metal dryer vent fitting specifically designed to address this issue. We have one installed and it works great!

The fitting has a short round section that fits onto the dryer and the opposite side is mounted to the long edge of a rectangular box (sized to give same airflow area as the round portion) that is length adjustable (the box part is two pieces that slide inside each other). The opposite side of the rectangular box ( has a round discharge that can either fit to a hose OR directly to a vent. You can buy these at Home Depot (who will now get all my business) in several different lengths.

In essence this fitting gives you two 90 degree elbows and a flat box for tight spaces and will cure your problem without having to do ANY cutting on the front wall of the cabinet (although you will still have to cut the side wall for the actual vent to outside.

You will need the fitting I describe, a short length of dryer vent hose or a round duct elbow (the elbow can only be used by itself if your near perfect on location of the exterior wall or you will have to add a length of round duct), 4 clamps, the exterior vent fitting and high heat duct tape. Make sure to measure everything and use the duct tape over all the fittings (particularly the adjustable slide portion of the box section) to reduce the chance of lint escaping thru same.

You will end up with a professional/industrial grade all metal duct, that is inexpensive but assures you of years of trouble free service.
I believe that slim adjustable duct box you describe is called a "periscope". Is the attached image what you are describing?

If so, it says it requires 3" behind the w/d, and I literally have only 1" behind the w/d. If what you used only takes 1" of space behind the w/d I would be really interested in a link to the item!

Thanks, Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home-depot-dryer-duct-periscope.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	4138  
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote