View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Another battery question

Hi folks! I've got a few battery related questions. Recently the campground I'm at has had a few power outages, which always makes me check my systems. I was looking at the battery output on my inverter today while the power was out at it was reading 11.9v initially, now 12.5. The only thing on the inverter and drawing a load right now is the fridge. Power has been out for about an hour. We've got two group 24 AGM road hawk (Penn systems) batteries that came with the camper. We never boondock, so they only supply power during transport and outages. We've had a few outages in the life of the batteries, one of which I think totally drained them, which I know is bad news. I'm a little nervous about this and am wondering if I need to replace them, and what best practices would be (carry a spare or a pair, just find whatever is available locally). My biggest worry is getting stuck with them gradually dying and not being able to hitch or unhitch and needing to go run to a battery store, since I know the jacks and slides rely on the batteries for supplemental power to the jacks so it's not all pulling from the converter. Any thoughts are welcome!