Thread: New to Montana
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #18
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Today, I was able to speak to a local mobile RV tech. He told me the heaters have a tendency to burn out a solder joint on the circuit board. He said I could pull the board and take it to a local dealer and have it tested. I took several pictures along the way of taking to board out because there are some plugs and wires plugged in and I wanted to make sure I put them back on right. Once I pulled the board, it was clear a solder joint directly behind the plug (not visible from the front) was clearly burned out. I went to an RV parts department and got a new board (in stock so I guess it's pretty common) and replaced it. Once I made sure all the wires were in the proper place, we turned the heater on and it started right up. If you plan on doing this, take lots of pictures at each step of removing the wires and board. I had one wire come loose from the plug and I was able to compare the pictures and get it put back in the correct place.

As for the water heater, I received a "fault" light on the panel when I turned it on. The RV tech told me to just leave it on and it will reset after 20 seconds. Sure enough, less than a minute after turning the gas water heater on with the fault light, the water heater lit and the fault light went out.

I'm happy to report that all is well with the fiver and we'll be on the road early Monday morning. SW Missouri to Casa Grande Arizona. That'll be our first trip!

Hope all is well and thank you to those who were kind enough to give me an opinion of what was wrong.
Bakersfish is offline   Reply With Quote