View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #50
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Montanna Sky: You wrote - Another trick, keep your day nite shades closed. Having single pane windows and your day night shades drawn will give you the same R factor as the dual pane windows with the shades up. Your propane useage sounds pretty normal for the temps you are in. Depending on your electric rate, it might be cheaper to run more space heaters than your furnace set at 70. Try setting your furnace at 50 - 55 to keep your basement warm enough so your pipes dont freeze. During the months of April and October I get temps in the 30's - 40's during the day and 20's - 30's at night. Between the heater on the fireplace, a space heater in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and my furnace set at 52, my coach will usually hold 70 - 72 degrees. Just a thought...

I am not sure I understand how the set up keeps the basement warm. If the temp holds at 70-72 you never get as low as 55 to kick in the gas heat. If the gas heat doesn't have to run it doesn't put heat into the basement....What am I missing?
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote