View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, I suppose my approach would be different (IF) I had solar installed. First, before going out and purchasing a bunch of new batteries and a whole lot of equipment, try your first round of boom-docking at home in the drive way. Just test out the solar you have and the batteries you have and see what they do first. Your current set-up may work pretty good for you and you really don't need to do anything. On the other hand, it may absolutely stink.

What I'm trying to say is, before investing a bunch of money into something that may not benefit your needs (like air conditioning), test it out at home first and get a base-line of what you need.

If, then, at home you find yourself uncomfortable in the camper, you'll know which direction to go.

Personally, considering you already have solar set up, I'd invest in a generator next so the air conditioners can be run. (but that's just me).

But the first approach is to try it first and see what happens. The comfort of your own driveway gives you the opportunity to plug back in immediately if you loose too much power, the battery runs too low, or you simply cannot exist without air conditioning hooked up to AC power somewhere?

You may find (in a safe and comfortable environment) the solar panels do wonderful for keeping the battery charged, and thus keeping the refrigerator running. But maybe there might not be enough power to run something else, like slide-outs, or the stabilizer jacks by the 3rd day of not having shore power.

You may find under this arrangement, your current set-up is perfectly fine, but you would be better to invest in a generator to supplement battery charging and running the air conditioner(s).

If you are not able to do an extended drive-way camp, then go to a state park for a week-end and simply do not plug into electricity. See how well you (and your camper) does. Then you'll know for sure what's really needed.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote