View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I have been using GPS for decades even back to when you had to feed the GPS signal to a laptop via a handheld GPS to get actual maps. Today we use a Good Sam GPS, Google maps on the phone and same on laptop while traveling. The standalone is really handy for lane changes and quick driver reference while the phone and laptop are used to look for points of interest or fuel stops by the copilot (IE: the good looking gal that sits on the right side of the TV). Only issue I have had with the Good Sam GPS is occasionally it will not find a signal when first turned on. That is resolved by pushing the pen sized reset button. Because of that issue and the fact that the power cord is hooked up to a plug that switches off with ignition, I make sure to tap the screen to keep the unit on when I turn off the truck at a quick stop so the unit will not lose the signal on restart. Other than that it is a fairly good unit that has yet to lead us down the wrong street. It has some really good features like being able to input the size of your rig and it will help you avoid areas where you might have issues (like low bridges). It also has the next exit points of interest which really helps for gas stops, campgrounds and restaurants while traveling.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote