View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I have had a TST 510 system with sensors on all 4 trailer and all 4 truck tires for 7 years. I think it has ultimately saved me a lot of money. When you have a leaky tire, you will not have a "blowout" and if there is trailer damage it is not from any explosion. The damage is from not realizing from the drivers seat that there is a problem with one of the trailer tires and then you drive along oblivious until you drive the belts right off the sidewalls, and when the sidewalls finally disintegrate the tread and belts slap the trailer and cause body damage. My TPMS has given me a low pressure warning several times and each time I was able to change the tire before there was any damage. Once I had a tire slashed on an Interstate highway with immediate loss of pressure. Several other times I saw a small loss of pressure over a few days and when I inspected the tire I found a bulge on the sidewall or a bald spot on the tire each time, which is a sign of a broken belt and imminent tire failure.

I have never had a problem with the truck tires, so including them in the TPMS may not be worth the extra expense. Besides, if there is a problem with a truck tire you will feel it right away, unlike the trailer tires.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote