View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 12:52 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I experienced a lot of different financial learning experiences while my mother was in the process of dying, medicare, medicade, banks, the whole gauntlet.

One thing you need to consider about such an arrangement as you are proposing. If your mother goes forward with the loan and you are a cosigner, then you are now responsible for the remainder of the loan as a cosigner has equal responsibility. That is, IF your name is on the title of the camper too.

If your name is not on the title of the camper, and your are not the primary borrower or the cosigner on the loan, then ... technically ... you have no claim to the property.

So, maybe you have power of attorney authority right now. Do you know, power of attorney lasts for only a specific length of time? And at Death, the power of attorney stops. So, if you do have power of attorney and planning on using that power of attorney to safeguard the camper in your name after the life insurance pays off the loan, the insurance company just (may) want to take back the camper.

Now, if she has a Will, then the will becomes active at death and the power of attorney ends.

Only because I went through a lot of financial headache with my own mother and because I worked in a financial based institution working with loans for the last 20 years before retiring, am I bringing up these things to consider.

However, every "system" has loop holes and the smart ones find the loop holes, and they are usually the ones that come out ahead! More power to ya, if you find the loop holes!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote