View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I had a car tire installed with the lug nuts cross threaded. Tires were replaced and installed at a tire shop. Some time much later got a flat and had to change that tire.
When I tried to take the wheel off the lug nuts snapped off one by one. Had it towed to that tire shop. They replaced the tire, lug nuts and the lug nut studs, no charge...
Yeah, they knew they messed up.
Had them pull all the wheels off and verified the others were good.

This brings back a very memorable, aggravating and learning experience for me.

Took my SUV into the "Goodyear Tire Store" and tires rotated and balanced. I arrived to pick it up as they were "finishing" up....with an impact wrench. They were having difficulties with the last tire and had to go get a "bigger" impact wrench (I was being stupid here and let them do it). Headed on out for our jaunt to the mounains...

At that time I used to 4x4 in the back country so we took the truck WAY back there as I always did. Back in there on "desolation ridge" or something like that a tire blew - the wheel that had been a problem. Jacked the truck up to put on the spare...whoops! Put the lug wrench on one lug nut then the other...would not move for anything. Cheater bar...no luck until I pushed it then....1,2 then 3 of the bolts sheared because they were cross threaded. Walked 7 miles with DW (I had a just replaced knee trying to navigate the mountain trails) to find someone to take us the other 13 miles down to find my friend that then found someone to help.

Impact wrenches are no longer allowed on anything I own. Torque values are given to the folks doing the work and I insist that I watch them do it. Make them unhappy? No doubt? Have I been refused...not yet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote