View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbones View Post
What steps do you take to re-home your jacks if the trailer is disconnected from the truck? do you reconnect and do the homing process?
I raise my front jacks high enough I can get jack stands under the frame in the front and then lower the trailer onto the jacks so the trailer is now resting on the jacks.

Now I can go through the process of extending all 6 jacks down about half way and then retract them all at once to clear the error on which ever jack is throwing the error.

On another point, if any of your jacks are stroking out, you'll get errors and have to go through this process to clear the errors. I found the best way to keep any of the jacks from stroking out is to place enough block under the jacks that they never extend all the way.

I did this by having the trailer on a fairly level area, then leveled front to rear. I measured the distance from the bottom of the jack to the ground, for each jack, and subtracted about 4 inches. So, if the original distance from the bottom of the jack to the ground is 10 inches, the longest distance I ever want to extend that jack is 6 inches. So, when camped on a slope, either front or backward slope, if the jack has to extend longer than 6 inches to reach the ground, I'll place blocks under the jack high enough the jack will touch when it extends only 6 inches.

Ever since I started doing this, I've never stroked out again, and I've never errored out again either on any jack. It took several months as a newbie with my Montana and the 6 point jack system to finally learn this. But now it is an absolute must.

Then came the day, I realized I had to raise the rear jacks about 4 inches so they'd quit dragging uneven ground when exiting parking lots and campsites. When I raised them higher, I now have put blocks under those rear jacks with a stack of lumber about 4 inches higher now too. So, if on level ground, I put about 8 inches of lumber under each rear jack. And this has worked perfect and I've not stroked out or errored out since I started doing this.

Over this winter, we've been home and not on the road. I took the time to paint all my lumber I use for leveling, jacks, and picnic table leveling. While I had everything out of the camper, and the trailer sitting on cinder blocks, I weighed all my lumber before painting. The total weight came to 106 pounds. I know that's a lot of lumber, but the end result ... It's saved me a LOT of headache re-honing those jacks.

FYI, mine are electric Lippert 6 point system.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote