View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I assume you have Googled CA-1 and read the experiences. I have driven it numerous times in a car (once in a Porsche was the greatest). It is tight, narrow (no breakdown shoulder area), no guardrails, few turnouts, with plenty of switchbacks to keep your attention. You should assume you won't be breaking any land speed records. In Big Sur (south of Monterey) and Muir Woods (north of San Francisco) plan on 20 MPH max. You will want to time the switchbacks for when there is no oncoming traffic as you you will have to cross the center line with the truck to keep the RV out of the ditch or overhanging rocks. In other areas you can speed along at 35-40 MPH. Do take advantage of any pullouts to let the line of traffic behind you get by (and signal their frustration :-) )

If you are comfortable in driving your rig, knowing where all the wheels are at all times, prepared to concentrate on just driving (no sight seeing for you - just your passenger) and enjoy a challenge, this is the road for you. If you have an easily spooked passenger the good news is your are going north and all the cliff drop offs are on the left. There is just the rock walls to keep them occupied.

This is a fun trip and I envy you. Hopefully CA-1 doesn't have anymore landslides between now and your trip. The last one took almost two years before the road was opened again.

I know of the park in S.F. you are referring to. I have never stayed there (we don't take the RV to S.F.) but I have a friend who has stayed there frequently (his mom lived nearby). Tight spots and exorbitant prices but spectacular views.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote