View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 01:27 AM   #18
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
First off, I am the friend that Carl is referring to. I am born and raised and still live in the area. The RV park you're probably referring to is actually in Pacifica, SF RV resort. All of the ocean front spots fell into the ocean years ago and are closed. Those remaining are tight with no views to speak of even though it's a short walk along the coast.

I am very familiar with the entire route on Hwy 1. There is no way I would pull any part of it from San Louis Obispo to Leggett, with the minor exception from the Golden Gate Bridge to Pacifica which I've done numerous times.

Hwy 1 in Marin county is especially popular with bicyclists. Getting around them in a small car is tough enough....a 5th wheel, no thanks.

Hwy 101 gets to the coast in Fortuna. North from there is spectacular. My suggestion is that you take 101 and venture out to coast if you want either for day trips or stays. For instance, take Hwy 116 from Petaluma to Bodega Bay. We've camped at both towns frequently. Head back to 101 via Santa Rosa. In Willits, take Hwy 20 to Ft Bragg, another great coast camping spot. To illustrate my point, Hwy 20 from Willits to Ft. Bragg is only 30 miles, a truck route, that will take over an hour. Easy drive in your rig but slow.

Even if you decide to give it a try, Ft. Bragg to Leggett is not doable in your rig. I highly suggest you rethink your plan and stay on 101.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote