View Single Post
Old 03-31-2024, 11:42 AM   #6
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
I found this information a couple of years ago regarding the GE residential fridge power consumption.
"the GE residential fridges they put in the current Montana’s run around 150w (120v…with conversion losses etc it pulls about 13-14 amp DC) and only need to run around 7-8 hours/24 hour period depending on obvious factors like usage, temps, how full it is etc. It will spike to 350w for the defrost cycle a couple times a day but only for about 20 mins or so and then the ice maker can use another 150w or so but only for very short durations….with minimal other power draws my 100Ah of battery usually sits around 40-50% after a night of battery usage when the panels start making power again...my residential fridge averages 1.2-1.4kWh per day."
My experience with our GE fridge is similar - but I have 4x200 watt panels that usually get my batteries back to 100% by mid-day. We also use the TV for a couple of hours on a satellite dish, lights until 11:00 pm, and I make a pot of coffee using the inverter in the morning. This leaves my 200 amp hrs at about 40% when the sun starts recharging the system.
In your case there are a few other factors to consider. You have a single panel mounted on one side of the roof on the RV. It's leaning at about 5-7 degrees toward the side of the RV. It that side is facing north where you store the RV, your sun exposure will be reduced, even in clear weather. The second fairly important factor is what is in the fridge and what is the outside temperature. If nothing is in there it will run a lot more frequently than the numbers stated above. Also, if it's warm and you don't have the RV AC running, the fridge has to overcome the heat of the inside of the RV.
I have my RV stored in a place where I could leave it running, but I choose not to do that. Even on a warm day in south Texas, I can start it and 12 hours or less later the ice maker is making ice and it's cool enough to put items in safely. When it goes back in storage, we wipe it down, dump the ice, turn it off and leave it open to dry out.
Good luck as you work through your situation!
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote