View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #17
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I am going to disagree about ride and handling being better at 110 psi. The higher the pressure the "harder" the tire will be. Unless the actual weight on the tire requires that pressure, the ride will be harsher and the traction will be lower. That is why tire manufacturers publish a weight to inflation table for their tires.

Tires inflated in excess of that required to carry the actual load on those tires will tend to balloon out and support more of that weight on the center area of the tread rather than being distributed more equally across the tread. That will result in a harder ride, lower traction, and more wear in the center.

I do agree about better fuel economy and probably somewhat lower temps.

Disclaimer: I am not a tire expert but there is adequate info on the internet from reliable sources to back that up. And if it is on the internet it must be true.
A good friend is also a big tire supplier to a lot of farmers and RV folks here in the area. He also owns a 5h wheel. He strongly suggests running G rated tires at 110 pounds COLD regardless of weight. A decent quality G rated tire will not balloon. That is why the have the extra cords inside so they can handle the weight at max pressure.
dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote