View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 04:49 PM   #9
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Although this time, it wasn't so dramatic, but thought I share anyway.

I keep 2 sets of chains inside my king pin box that are used for hanging a tripod grill over a campfire. This seems to be the best ideal place to store them, out of the way and don't get tangled in everything.

I haven't used the tripod at all this year, so no need to reach for the chains. But I am keeping the 4 chains for that TV table/stand I made that dangles from the king pin.

Anyway, we're breaking camp today and I put the chains for the dangling TV tray/table in the King Pin hole and though, maybe I better reach a bit farther, just to make sure the tripod chains are still there.

Well, I reached in and .... you guess it ... all the way to the very end, as far as I could reach ... a bird nest! I pulled it out and no eggs. I have no clue how long it's been in there, but it was not there last year, when I first started carrying the chains in the King Pin.

So, I'm now finally a victim of critter invasion! But at least this one was an easy and non-threatening invasion.

Here's a photo of the inside of the King Pin box after I removed the nest. Looks like I need to get a shop vac and sweep the rest out though.

I'm not sure when the nest was actually built. We've been on the road a lot this year. It must have happened early this spring when we were home a few week. But, I suppose it's possible for a bird to build a nest while sitting at a campground too!

I guess I need to check that space in the camper more often. Who would have thought?
At least it wasn't a bee nest. We have had a horrible time with little tiny yellow jackets this year.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote