View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Don & Diane

I have done your #1 option many, many times. The only issue is traffic and tolls over the Richmond Bridge. If your going through on Saturday or Sunday, it's not too bad. Monday - Friday afternoon isn't good.

Another option that I like better (we live north of Santa Rosa on 101) is to take I5, north to Hwy 12, West on 12 to I80. Take I80 south to Hwy 37. Take a right on Hwy 116, Lakeville Hwy. That will take you to Hwy 101. North on 101 to Cresent City is just fine.

Granted, this route is not the most direct, but it can be faster and less aggravating. You might hit some delays around Stockton and Petaluma, but for the most part, it's far less crowded. Saving the bridge toll will be about a wash for the little extra fuel. BYW, Hwy12 is not in great shape so be forewarned.

A third route is to take I-5 to Hwy 20 @ Williams. Hwy 20 is scenic and a nice road. It is slow when you go around Clearlake. It will bring you into Hwy 101 north of Ukiah. If you don't want to go through the Santa Rosa area, this would be the route of choice avoiding most traffic (except through the Sacramento area). If you time that right, you'd be ok.

Ken

Option 2 I have not done, so I can't comment on 299.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote