View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Gubs, if you want to use AC while boondocking, go as big as possible. First, do your AC’s have soft starts? Second, especially since you mentioned Colorado, what altitudes do you camp at? You lose 10% capacity for every 1000 feet above 5000 feet. We camp at 10,000 feet and lose half our power. Of course, at that altitude, we aren’t using AC anyway. We like the Honda 2000’s in parallel. I have a welded cage that holds the generators with a six gallon low profile auxiliary tank in between. This gives me the flexibility of running one if I’m just topping off our lithium batteries or two if I’m running both AC’s. Our experience with the extreme heat in the NW this summer is we have been unable to keep the rig cool unless we ran AC 24 hours a day, which most neighbors would object to. Fortunately, while camped in Helena, Montana, it was 105 in the camper and cooled down to 64 overnight without AC. Could not cool it down from those temps with both AC’s running on high fan. Lots of options. Choose what works best for you.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote