View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Bye, Bye Awning!!

It was only a small thunderstorm, and it wasn't coming directly overhead and there had been several just like it in the preceding several day(s) with no significant winds, so why should I take the awning down for the umpteenth time in a week?

Well, I almost got back to the rig in time....there were two wind gusts, not really strong, just as I arrived...the first one just yanked it around a bit, the second one tore both of the support arms loose at the bottom support points, and up and over the awning went!! Bent/twisted the support arms, popped rivets in them, tore a 2 foot section of awning attachment hardware loose from the side of the Monty just a little way below the roof line.

It only took about 30 min of work on the roof to take everything apart enough to cut the awning loose right next to the side of the Monty. Support arms and awning are on the way to the dump. Estimate is about $700 for a replacement, including the work. No serious damage to the Monty itself except for a few bolt/screw holes which will need patching and replacement of a small section of the awning support which is screwed into the side at the top of the Monty.

Lessons learned: 1.) NEVER, NEVER, leave the rig with the awning deployed if there is ANY chance of a significant wind coming up, thunderstorm or otherwise. 2.) If you even THINK you might want to stow the awning due to approaching weather, you have already made the decision! Dont delay, do it NOW! 3.) ALWAYS use additional mooring lines from the ends of the awning "tube" to the ground. That will, hopefully, keep any stray wind gusts from getting under the awning and pulling it up and away. 4.) If you aren't going to be there all the time, make sure your spouse/companion(s) practice "solo" awning stowing, so they can do it in an emergency. 5.) The winds that did this were only about two or three significant gusts, and I would say about 20 MPH. It doesn't take much if you don't have additional mooring for the awning!

Y'all be careful out there!! You can bet I will be next time!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote