View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I lost an awning while hosting at Ft. Yargo State Park back in June. I always leave one side lower so that the middle doesn't catch water and overload the awning. Well, you guessed it, I came in late at night and raised the awning so that we could get into the coach and thought I had put enough slant to the awning to drain off the rain. The next morning I get a knock on my door telling me that my awning is getting ready to come down from the weight of the water in the awning. I got outside just in time to see the roller bar bend in the middle and drop the load of water.

Fortunately, my insurance company sent out a Mobile RV guy who measured the awning and ordered a new one. The next week he installed the new awning and a center support that will hopefully keep water from collecting in the awning. American RV out of Madison, Georgia did a great job and everthing is good as new. My cost was a $100 deductible, but my insurance company took a $1350 hit.

Needless to say, I use the new center support and make sure one end of the awning is lower than the other. I also use tiedowns to protect against those rogue winds.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote