Thread: Foul smell
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
You are confusing two different items as one here. Sorry.

The black tank flush (water) line has an anti-siphon valve on it. When they go bad, there is simply no water that passes that point. They can go bad by having the smallest particle clog them.

The other item is the air admittance vent under the sink. The air admittance vent (that black thing on the end of the pipe under the sink) can go bad also and allow odors to escape from the tank.

The only problem is.... the air admittance valve is the air vent for your grey tank (sink and shower). The vent for the black tank runs to the roof.

It's possible the OP is getting smells from the grey tank and the air admittance valve (vent) under the sink has failed. If this is the possible culprit, and easy way to figure it out, is to simply slip a plastic baggie over the end of that vent and tape it tight shut for a short while. If the smells go away, there is the problem. If not, the problem is somewhere else.

If the black tank anti-syphon valve emits odor, it will also spew water everywhere.
I think you might be confused. The valve under the bathroom sink has nothing to do with the gray tank. It is in the black tank flush line only. No air admittance, no roof vent, etc. It can leak water. It can let black tank odors escape. It can do both at the same time or independently. I know from personal experience. When flushing the black tank I would get sewer odor in the rv coming from the bathroom. Removed the valve, shark bite the line back together, put anti siphon valve at the black tank flush inlet in the convenience center and no more odors.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote