View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigB in FL View Post
I'm looking to connect my Westinghouse 4500 portable generator to the front end of my 3582RL 5er. It does not have a generator prep. How does your "transfer switch" work? Where/how does it connect into your HC system? Does your generator plug into a 30a or 50a receptacle? I'm thinking of using a 50a receptacle even though I only have a 30a plug on the generator, just in case I need to plug into shore power from the front.
Many members have added a front plug, either 30 or 50 amp, for generator plugin or just convenience. Personally I would use a 50 plug to maximize the capabilities.

The transfer switch senses what power supply (usually generator or shore power) is available and switches automatically to it based on a preference for shore power.

Without an existing transfer switch, you have a couple of options. Obviously you can install a transfer switch which works auto-magically. Some I know how just mounted two female receptacles of the back wall of the pass-thru compartment. One is connected to the rear power supply and the other is connected to your new front power wiring. They then add a male plug to the wiring from the power panel that they plug manually into the appropriate power supply source (rear or front).

Not having a transfer switch means you have to cut the power cable to the power panel (circuit breaker box) which is behind the rear wall of the pass-thru compartment. Either install the transfer switch there or modify the cabling to support the manual plug switch idea.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote