View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had that brake problem on our first Montana. At first, it seemed like when I was stopped, then hit the gas, the Montana brakes would take a second or so to release. Eventually they wouldn't release at all until I dragged the Montana a few feet forward. Then they'd release.

We were still under warranty. The brakes apply by being forced outward on a cam on which they swivel. This cam is not round. It's square or rectangular, diamond shaped I guess. Anyhow, the dealer found the linings so worn the shoes were forced out so far that the cam had to go past it's high point. Thus the springs could not pull the shoes past that high point to retract them.

It is really hard to explain so I'm not sure that makes any sense. The bottom line is the linings were worn down so far that the brakes could not release on their own. The dealer found we had only one brake functioning and that's why it wore so badly. The other three looked brand new.

Your problem may be different but I thought I'd throw this out for consideration. The Montana was less than a year old at that time and we were not fulltiming but weekenders and vacationers and still working so not traveling a lot.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote