View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I know of someone else who lost a spring hanger. I helped my BIL replace his after we also found that the leaf spring pack had broken a couple of leafs. We're not sure if the hanger broke causing the leafs to break or the other way around. Nevertheless, it was not pretty. He was on his way home 100 miles away coming back from a trip near where we live, then the break occurred and he happened to be blocks away, so he immediately called us. We told him to stop on by and he parked in front of the house where we found the damage and planned the repair. He bought the new leaf springs (a little higher rating this time), then found the broken hanger. He then bought the hanger and had a portable welder remove the old piece and weld on the new hanger. With the trailer on blocks, the new leaf springs were then attached, then he was able to go on his way back home. Lotta luck involved here.

It's very good advice to check the suspension before a trip, not just torque the wheels and fill the tires. You hope you can catch something that can turn into something major. I do get under the rig for a look-see nowadays. Especially since my rig sits a lot between trips.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote