View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #57
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
I read a lot of things about tires that are somewhat bewildering to normal every day users.

With that all said let's look at some facts.

Personally I went from a LRD to a LRE with the same designated size. The “should be” is in reference to brand names which are never mentioned in regulations or standards.

NHTSA has a link where a consumer can ask for interpretations. I asked for one on tire industry standards and received this response.

“Industry Standards generally form the basis for determining product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others”
Thanks Cal, very informative!

Let me see if I can sum up from my layman's view... tires of the same size, inflated to the same pressure, will carry the same load, regardless of load range rating.

If so, then perhaps the greatest concern for the average person (and even a lot of the paid "professionals"), is that tires of a higher load range will likely be inflated to the rating on the sidewall, resulting in more pressure than the OEM designed. The result could be rim failure.

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks again for the good info; I will "chew" through the PDF you linked when I have time

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote