View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 07:58 AM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
What’s beeping in front compartment?

What is beeping in the front compartment?

It’s just a little polar vortex cold snap…what could go wrong?
It’s 18* and sunny in Central TX. I was ready for the cold…got everything covered up. Got the greenhouse ready, watered the plants and had the ceramic heater running. The Montana had been drained down and sitting since July 4 as we have not traveled due to DWs health issues (which are improving now). I figured I would run the furnace with it set to 45* rather than full blown winterize. We only had to endure maybe 3 days of sub-32* weather. No problem. Just to be safe - I cranked all 3 of my generators and let them run under load for an hour Saturday morning…we will not need them but DW insisted. I have a Champion 3500 contractor genny, Champion 3500 inverter (one of the first inverters that can’t be hooked in series with other generators unfortunately), and a super badaxx Cummins Onan P4500i.

The cold arrived Sunday pm. Monday morning at 5:21 our power goes out…but it should come back quickly because there is no ice or snow this time…just cold. Our provider Oncor sends text after text…”we have identified additional repairs we estimate your power will return at 7:30”…then 9:30…then 11:00…then 4:00…you get the picture. No explanation of what went wrong. Right away DW requested I hook up the generator so we could watch TV…no problem. Got it all set up with extension cord…and the Cummins started and sputtered out never to fire again + battery went dead. The Champion inverter fired up and ran like a champ until it ran out of gas at midnight. I went to bed at 1:30. Power came back at 4:38 am…so we had no power for 24 hours.

I walked around early resetting all the clocks and some outside lights with sensors, plus something is beeping in the Montana. The furnace was still able to fire and run. I got too cold to poke around. I suppose without having power the batteries are stressed (2 group 27 lead acid 1 yr old from Sams). I need to dress warmer and go attend to the beep. Any ideas?

I am disgusted with the Cummins. Right now I wish I had that $1500 back! Now I have to spend time working on it. Any ideas where to start?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote