Thread: Sidewinder
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 11:16 AM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I have one and it is the best thing. I had a pull right before. When it was at 45-90Deg pivot the trailer mount would hit and damage the side rail of the truck bed. It also took away the use of the truck bed for stowage anywhere rearward of the kingpin.

With the sidewinder I have my 3500 generator in the right rear of the bed and chocks and other items on the left. The kingpin points straight back in the bed and is not in the way of anything.

It tows perfectly. I have never had any "bumper pull" type of sway ever occur. Sketchy engineering? Without any examples or specs on that statement I would just ignore it. I do wish I had the option to having the newer sidewinder with the actual roller bearing in the turret rather than the plastic wear plates.

My good friend also has a sidewinder on his Montana. We both removed the Morryde pinboxes and installed the Airborne Sidewinders.

As far as being compatible with standard hitches I carry two bolts to install per the instructions to make the hitch not rotate and then remove the wedge from under the plate and wa-la, now it can be pulled by any hitch. No problem. Simple as removing the adapter wedge plate from a pull rite king pin installation.

Questions on Sidewinders? Just ask.
Awesome info! Thanks for the reply. Just because something is different doesn't mean it is bad. As I alluded to in my post, YouTube videos can be sketchy at best. Safe travels and happy camping
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote