View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brown View Post
We have a 2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab with the Cummins diesel. We did have a 2014 Crusader Fifth wheel with a dry weight of 10,070. Last year we decided to upgrade to a 2021 MHC 331RL. I looked at the dry weight of the Montana and it was around 11,500. I then researched the towing capacity of my Ram and it is around 17,800. So I figured I am good to go. I was recently talking with a friend and he said you need to check the payload of your truck. I looked on the placard and the payload is 2115#.
Here's my question, why would Ram build a truck that will tow 17,800# but put the payload capacity so low? This payload would only allow me to tow a 10,000# fifth wheel after I added hitch, passengers, etc. and stay below payload capacity.
Thoughts?
It's not just RAM or something they made up. The issue is with the truck classifications and the max weight limits of each... see here for a list - https://www.thebalancesmb.com/commer...cation-2221025
In this case, a "2500" is a "Class 2" pickup which has a maximum GVWR of 10,000lbs (in some areas actually 9,900lbs). Since you have the Cummins diesel, your truck weighs several hundred pounds more than one with a gas engine.

So, do the math; your truck, empty as from factory, weighs 7,885lbs, leaving you with the 2,115lbs payload to meet the upper weight limit of a Class 2 truck. (you can verify the max GVWR on your door sticker)

It's an interesting dilemma; with the Cummins you have a much stronger engine with a much stronger drivetrain, so you can tow much more weight than the gas models. But, because your truck weighs more you have reduced payload.

But, again, it is not a problem created by RAM; it is imposed on all truck manufacturers.

Brad