View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 07:44 PM   #12
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If I had a nice 2020 Ram I would try pulling your camper to see how it pulled. You certainly have enough power and the only difference between your truck and a 3500 SRW is the rear springs. If you need to put the extra spring on it.
Lynwood

On the RAM 2500 they use coil springs but leaf springs on the 3500.
One other note on the RAM 2500, the coil springs are mounted inboard from where the leaf springs are mounted on the 3500s. This makes for a fantastic ride, but does create some challenges when towing, such as sway.

Our last rig was a RAM 2500 with the factory air suspension, towing a 11,000lb Jayco and it did good overall. However, when the conditions were "wrong", there could be some sway. It was usually good with winds, but rutted up 2 lane highways could be a handful. I never felt that the truck had issues pulling or stopping, but be aware of the potential for sway. Once we knew we were upgrading to a Montana 3790RD (~16,600 loaded), we immediately ordered a new RAM 3500 truck. Now, even with an extra 5000+ lbs of trailer, the rig is much more solid.

Chief Brown, your MHC will put you overweight on the payload of your truck. Some are comfortable towing a bit over payload, due to either having the factory air suspension or adding aftermarket air bags for extra support. I sure don't want you to think that I am giving any advice to you here, but I will say that I am also not in the camp of being the "weight police". There are times that I would have been overweight on my payload on my past rig, but I did my research and knew that I was not over on my rear axle, nor on my tires.

Here's some math, in case it's helpful...
-payload is restricted as noted, due to an arbitrary weight classification
-your tires are likely the same as on the 3500s (likely load rating 125, or 3640lbs each, or over 7200lbs for each axle for a combined total of over 14,000lbs)
-your front and rear axle ratings are ~6000lbs each, so your total "combined axle weight" max is more like ~12,000lbs
-let's round up the truck weight to 8000lbs. The weight with no load in the box and with the Cummins is very front end heavy; likely ~5000lbs on the front axle and ~3000lbs on the rear.
-that means your rear axle might have as much as 3000lbs of capacity and your front axle ~1000lbs of capacity. (and your tires on each axle have more than an extra 1000lbs of safety beyond that)

Next, you can add up the weight that will go in the truck and the actual hitch weight of your trailer when loaded the way you want to load it up. It's always a good idea to load up and find a CAT scale that will weigh both the total weights and also each axle, so you know exactly where you are at, and where you might be pushing it.
Only you can decide if the risk is something you are willing to deal with. At least the above math may give you some data to help with your decision.

All the best with your decision; you have an amazing truck and a great trailer. If you can trade up to a 3500 that would be ideal, but perhaps your 2500 may work if you load your MHC lightly.

Brad