View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #13
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
I so appreciate all of the responses from you guys. There is alot of good info here, and suggestions to investigate.

We have used the Hold Mail service, but as previously stated, its 30 days max. Once when I requested it, we still had mail delivery each day & thankfully we were only gone for 1 week that time. The rural mail carrier told me I should just call the local p.o. and tell them when I want it held rather than handling it online. Then they changed the phone number to a national 800#...

I signed up for USPS Informed Delivery a year or so ago, and we get email notifications with images of the front of the mailpieces to be delivered that day. Sometimes we don't get mail the day the email says its coming, but at least we can report that we didn't receive those pieces. Its a nice service to have.

I may call the post office in town near where we're going to camp long-term and ask about having mail forwarded there temporarily?

We had monitored Simplisafe alarm system before when we lived in a larger town, and it did give peace of mind...until a friend stopped by and set off the alarm when we were in Shenandoah Nat'l Park with no cell service - no one could reach us by phone, the monitoring service called local sheriff's department and they never responded😒. So now we live deep in the Boonies, and I don't have a great deal of faith in response to an alarm.

We have good replacement insurance, and we do turn off our water, and water heater when we leave town. A friend of mine's father was out of town a couple of years ago in June, and due to a water pressure issue, an upstairs water spigot blew. Water flowed from the 2nd story to the ground level, and on down to the finished basement. I will never again feel comfortable leaving water on, even when its warm!

Due to pitifully slow wifi, I don't know if cameras will work for us unless they're hardwired, but we aren't ruling them out yet.

We seriously like the quiet country living, but it comes with trade-offs!

I guess we need to relax somewhat, take all this good advice and all the precautions we can, and if it comes to it we can call Jake...at State Farm. We are excited that we just got our new roomier Montana HC 295RL, so its time to enjoy it.
Deejaybee727 is offline   Reply With Quote