View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Since you were expecting -30, you must be having an unexpected hot spell.

I like that you reported that a furnace running the whole time at those temps uses 50-60 gallons a month, that should be the worst it could be. This would be the worst case since the furnace can't run any more that its rated BTUs and it keeps the temps inside in the 60s? Not bad at all.

What's propane costing up there? 60 gallons at about $4.00/gallon (worst case prices where I live) is about $240 which is not bad if it keeps you warm in those temps. Do you have electric heaters to help, too? What did you end up doing about the doggies' exercises?

You had a great plan and the weather is slightly better than you anticipated and this is a good thing. I'm guessing even if the outside temps got lower, that the inside temps would stay about what you've reported as long as nothing breaks. I wonder if building a mud room at the Monty entrance to help insulate the outside cold could help entering and exiting when it was absolutely necessary. Going from the mid 60s to those outside temps would sure intimidate this Southern California desert dweller.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote