View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #24
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
“Those horseless carriages will never replace the horse!”

For those whose lives are intertwined with the oil industry, that is a very important part of who they are. But it is also easy to get tunnel vision. To say it takes a lot of electricity to manufacture wind turbines and solar cells, that is a very poor argument. Once manufactured, those things actually generate more pollution free power than was used to make them. The oil industry itself sucks in a huge amount of power to pull the oil out of the earth, transport it via truck, rail, and/or pipeline to the refineries, and the refineries themselves are huge power drains. And polluters. It is a dirty business. And that is a 24/7/365 operation.

As far as batteries, there will be new technology for both producing and recovering them. And once there are large numbers of EVs on the road, service trucks will likely have on board power supplies to give a quick charge in the middle of no where.

Depending on which resource you read, oil will last anywhere from 30 years to hundreds of years. Each has their own agenda, will claim their prediction is most accurate, and will use those numbers to further their cause. Truth is, no one really knows for sure.

But again, the push for clean air and environment will ultimately be the driving force toward all electric vehicle. Not a shortage of oil. And that time line will depend on further developing existing technology and new technology yet to be discovered. There will be huge fortunes to be made by who ever comes up with the breakthrough to turn the next corner. So there will be no shortage of those trying.

I love my ICE engines and have no plans of buying anything electric. But I am also practical enough to see that the move to all electric vehicles will happen in the not too distant future. If not in our lifetimes, then our kids.
I agree 100%. Also, the electric light bulb will never replace the kerosene lamp!

I recently replaced my daily driver car with a used Tesla. The car is amazing, fun to drive, and requires virtually no maintenance. I can drive it anywhere in the US using the Supercharger Network. One test drive is all it took to convince me that electric cars are the future. Take a test drive and you'll be convinced.

That being said, I still have my F250 for towing our fiver, and I don't anticipate getting rid of it any time soon.