View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #38
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
As an individual that has grown up in the middle of the "oil patch" and now an epicenter of solar and wind farms, I can say from my experience oil is the way to go for the foreseeable future IMO.

I am at a loss how anyone thinks that if they had their way, mankind was stripped of any/all advancements and put back to the stone age; living in clans, scratching the ground to eat, no lights, automobiles, industry...nothing; then all would be right with the world and it would go on forever unchanged. Wouldn't they be shocked a hundred/thousand years from now as the earth continued to cycle hot, cold, back and forth as it has done for millions of years? But some believe THEY have the answer to control the weather; the earth; the future....the arrogance is all I can say.

As far as the "renewable" resources, solar and wind. They come at a premium as well. Living in the midst of it there are very distinct differences in how they produce power and what it costs the taxpayer; solar; we are in the middle of having large solar arrays built around us. What do they all have in common? They can't pay for themselves. Every installation I am aware of goes to every taxing entity and receives tax abatements to relieve themselves of tax implications for their investments, ie; taxpayer funding. The land they build upon is either donated or leased for nothing to land "jobs" - although temporary. Facilities don't exist to transport the power so they must be built out to support the arrays. Then, if it's cloudy, nighttime etc. they just sit there and do nothing....but look horribly ugly.

Wind turbines; same type of situation - taxpayer funded through abatements and other tax breaks in an effort to go "green". Efficient? Sort of....if the wind is blowing, not really the majority of the time.

Oil: in this area they are the largest contributor to the tax base - by a large margin. They build their own infrastructure, they receive no grants, free loans etc. - they carry their own weight and give back. They employ thousands of people 7x24x365, not just during construction. Fossil fuels are THE backbone of this country, our industrialization and our foreseeable future.

Nuclear: Although politically incorrect in todays environment, nuclear is a viable, excellent source of power generation.

Is the climate changing? No doubt. Is it all mankind's fault? Not hardly. Will it change no matter what we do? Absolutely. If we kill the country....the world, will it make mother earth "whole" again and the climate become stable forever more? Not a chance. I don't think there's much of a debate about the existence of climate change - it's here, has always been here and will continue to be here. It's more about how and why it occurs. Unfortunately too many agendas get injected into that conversation and what one gets, if only listening to the media, is a very distorted view of reality. I would encourage anyone interested in delving into it a little deeper, past the media hype and paid "climatologists", to read a book called "Climate of Extremes" by Patrick J. Michaels and Robert C. Balling to get a more rounded view of the situation.

The thread was about EVs which, as was noted, evolved into the practicality of them, how do we power them and ultimately how that solution, whatever it might be, then impacts us - there were lots of questions in the initial post. Sort of like the ripples caused by a stone thrown in a pond, the initial "plop" (EV as tow vehicle question) is small but the results (ripples) are wide ranging and in reality does have a bearing on all of us as RV owners and towers. I would say in the future but some states are already mandating the elimination of fossil fuels which will certainly have a direct impact on those living there - even if the goal is realistically unattainable.

These are just my opinions formed from living in the midst of this and watching/listening/reading of all the requests from these entities over the years - and sitting here on a Sat. morning with time on my hands to type. My comments are not to argue with anyone - it is a complex issue and we all have our own thoughts and opinions on it as it should be. IMO trying to power a nation full of electric vehicles is going to cost every one of us a boatload of money to implement the infrastructure to support them - if they are ever viable. In the end, it will be what it will be. Hope everyone has a great day!