Thread: Gas oven
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
With gas ovens, if yours has the electric spark, or if you need to actually use a match or a fire lighter of some sort, you have to put the oven knob on it's pilot setting and push the knob in and hold it in for a few moments before igniting the fire (either the spark, or the flame). Then once the pilot starts you need to continue pushing the knob in and hold it there for a few more seconds.

This warms up the thermocouple. Then you can let go of the knob and turn it to light the oven burner.

If yours does not have the electric spark, it's usually a 2 person job, because reaching inside the oven with a lighter and holding the oven know pushed in on the pilot setting takes some pretty good contortionism if doing it alone.

Mine has the electric spark, and I can see the reflection in the bottom panel when it sparks, and then when it lights, and if it goes out if I let go of the knob too soon.

You should NOT smell gas. If enough gas escapes the pilot that you can actually smell it, your oven will explode if it ignites.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote