Thread: Gas oven
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Another word about gas ovens. The temperature settings on the knob is absolutely meaningless. They are NOT in sync with what the actual temperature is in the oven. The marking on the knob are OK once you figure it out that 350 on the knob is actually 450 in the oven. And 450 on the knob is actually about 600.

Before you depend on your oven, get an oven thermometer and place it in the oven and get actual temperatures inside the oven at the different marking on the knob. Start low, and increase the temperature one tick mark at a time. Give the oven time to reach it's full temperature, check the thermometer and record the actual temperature. If you don't do this, you will have a "forever war" with your oven and probably quit using it out of frustration because everything is getting burned on the bottom and raw on the top.

Next, RV ovens do not put out a consistent heat inside the oven itself. What I mean by that is, the bottom of the oven is hotter than the top, and the left side might be hotter than the right, and all 4 sides might be different.

What that means is, you simply cannot shove anything in the oven, turn it on and forget it for 30 minutes while things bake. If you do, you've have one part of your cake over cooked and burned, another part still gooey batter, and a tiny small part actually done.

In order to get around this, you have to rotate your item several times when baking AND use a lower temperature than what the recipe actually calls for. For example: If you lower the temperature by about 25 degrees and rotate that bread dough about 3 times in that 30 minute period, you'll need to extend the cooking time about 45 minutes. But the end result will be a perfect loaf of bread.

Some folks have figured out a work around for this by placing a pizza stone in the bottom of their oven. I don't know how I could do this, because if I added a pizza stone to the oven, there wouldn't be room for anything else. So, I'm not sure how this is done. But those who do, swear it's the answer to the uneven temperature problem in RV ovens.

Still, even with a pizza stone, the marking on the knob will not be in sync with the actual temperature inside the oven. You'll still need to go through this exercise with a pizza stone or without.

Still, one more thing: Start using your oven by backing biscuits and then only 1 or 2 at at time. You WILL burn up the first few batches. Biscuits are cheap, a $45 chunk of roast is not!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote