Thread: Solar Update
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Solar Update

When we first got our Super Solar 3230RL, we didn’t know what to expect. Could we really go all day without running the generator. Even if we were running the furnace all night, microwave, television, brewing coffee, etc. And, quite frankly, we expected a few early issues that indeed cropped up.

Well, after working with Matt, AirExcel and Keystone at rally, we upgraded our Solar system significantly. As Mike Wilson guided us on the forum with his great explanations, went about updating our Super Solar. First, I had a Progressive Transfer Switch failure. It would not latch and allow charging. The purpose of that transfer switch was strictly the EMS. I had three options available - wire around the transfer switch function, upgrade to the Southwire or add a better EMS. On our dime, we upgraded to the Hughes 50 amp Watchdog EPO hardwired with Bluetooth. The first two were no charge options. I am really happy with my choice.

Next, the Jaboni 30 amp solar charge controllers were replaced with 50 amp Victron charge controllers. One of our first failures was a Jaboni controller. It would only go to standby. These new charge controllers are linked to VictronConnect. We are able to monitor the solar by phone. Today was our first opportunity to really test the system. We yielded 2.32 kWh today. Again, we had a great experience with getting the results we were hoping to achieve.

Last, again thanks to Mike, we addressed the load shedding issue. Our AC’s had the 756 controller instead of the 755. They tricked the system to shed the AC into shedding, but it would not turn back on. AirExcel changed out our 756 controller for the 755’s and the wiring was changed to allow the AC to turn back on after two minutes.

Overall, we are very happy with the system and will be giving it a nice test over the next four days, followed by some winter Boondocking this January. It is really nice to visit friends and not worry about getting out any cords. Also, our SeeLevel Gages allow us to know where our tanks are. And, thanks to Arkaware, we have a very quiet water pump.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote