View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Even rural has its own headaches now days. My Mom at 94 still lives in her own home in rural Missouri about 80 miles east of KC. A town of about 4300. Her dryer went out right before our TX trip, so I couldn't go back to fix it ... at that with fuel prices, it would have been cheaper for me to cover the service call compared to a 350 mile roundtrip. No one in town left that repairs appliances ... had to have a tech from a larger town 30 miles away come take a look at it. They only come when they accumulate enough road calls to make it worthwhile to them, so she had to wait several days. Diagnosed the issue as a bad thermal fuse in the back of the dryer. Came back a week later and installed thermal fuse ... still not working. Ended up being one of her old glass screw-in fuses in the basement that had popped on one leg of the 220 to the dryer. You'd think a service tech would have checked that near first of his list??? Still charged her just for the service call .... $100.00.

40+ years ago this same town had a Sears, JC Penney's, Firestone, Ben Franklin, Mattingly's, Western Auto, 5 major implement dealers, 4 banks, 2 jewelry stores, GE Appliance store, 2 lumber yards ... and a much larger population.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote